Re: Drug Policy Info (Long)

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:39:57 -0800

First my apologies if this duplicates, but the first post seems to have
bounced back.

A possible solution to the drug (substance) question, but first some
questions. What is the clearance time for rhino vaccine? What is an
abnormal amount of biotin? Is a topical anti-biotic impermissible under
"administration of abnormal substances"? How about one being fed or
injected? What about a topical antisceptic?

I raise these questions because the problem is not how a substance is
classified (which is largely a product of FDA law and not science). There
appears to be a good consensus on this list that any substance used to help
the horse in any way during a competitive event that has negative
consequences on the health of the horse should be banned and that a
substance that helps the horse's long term health should be allowed. The
problem, as the above questions point out, is that no classification system
does that successfully. Each substance must stand or fall on its own
merits. The other problem is that there is disagreement on what substances
meet this test.

What is needed is a list of approved substances. I know Dr. Frazier had
indicated historical reasons relating to other rules about what substances
should be allowed led to the current broad brush rule, particularly because
under those rules, bute an others became approved substances.

The following from Dane Lee Frazier:
"Therefore, we felt the only chance to have enforceable and meaningful
rules about drugs in endurance riding was to prohibit them instead of
trying to regulate them. Regulation means that you will allow drugs --
only you will fight about which ones and how much. Prohibition means
that you will not allow drugs and you will fight about what is a drug."

You will also argue about clearance times. Since it requires a month for a
that long. You also throw the technical burden on those who are not
technically oriented. From the questions I first asked in this post, it
appears that some drugs are exempt (under some unstated common sense
doctrine?) from the rule.

The possible solution: An approved list of substances. No others could be
used. In keeping with a philosophy that errs on the side of banning
questionable substances, a substance could be added to the list only with
a two thirds affirmative vote and could be removed with a one third
affirmative vote. The arguments will still be there, but the list of
substances actually approved is going to be a conservative list.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net