Re:More Questions

Dane Lee Frazier (dfrazier@mail.llion.org)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:12:43 -0600 (CST)

Hello Ramey

I'll sure try to answer your questions. They are good ones. If I might
take up some more of your time, it may be more efficient to the
understanding of where we are on drug policy by considering the history
of how we got here.

AERC has always (or at least as long as I have been associated with it) had
a no drugs policy. However, it did not always have a drug rule that
reflected this philosphy adequately. Several years ago at the national
convention at a meeting of the veterinary committee, to our surprise our
drug rule stated that AERC accepted The American Horse Shows Association
rules concerning drugs. Where this came from has never been fully
elucidated. I think it was some kind of glitch.

AHSA took the position that horses should not compete under the
influence of drugs as the playing field should be kept level without one
horse having an advantage over another due to drugs. The problem was
that AHSA in the next breathe would allow you to compete with drugs in
your horse if they were the drugs they approved (Phenylbutazone and
Banamine for example), in doses that did not exceed levels they set (5cc
each), and that you declared that the horse had been medicated. So much
for leveling the playing field!

We had a problem. Our philosophy said no drugs, yet our rules accepted
AHSA standards which allowed drugs. In addition, some states
(California) had state laws prohibiting drugs in horses at performance
events including endurance rides and some organizations also had drug
rules (ECTRA) prohibiting the same.

This development led the veterinary committee into the long and grueling
journey that culminated in the recommendation to the BOD of the AERC of
what they passed as the current rule #13.

I do think it is important to mention the intensity of the discussion
about drugs within this committee prior to the presentation of any of the
recommendations. We made every effort to look at all sides of the issue
from every perspective we could consider. It was brought to our
attention that we either had to formulate a policy that prohibited drugs
during competiton or we had to formulate a policy that regulated the use
of drugs during the same.

We drew on the experience of the racing industry and the AHSA that had
gone the regulation route. They have been uniform disasters. If you
believe we have a gnashing of teeth in endurance riding, these
sports have become toothless trying to regulate drugs. About a third of
the entire budget of the AHSA (millions of dollars) is used in their drug
program and the
racing industry is in constant turmoil and under constant scrutiny and
criticism for the role drugs play in their sport.

Therefore, we felt the only chance to have enforceable and meaningful
rules about drugs in endurance riding was to prohibit them instead of
trying to regulate them. Regulation means that you will allow drugs --
only you will fight about which ones and how much. Prohibition means
that you will not allow drugs and you will fight about what is a drug.

The plethora of compunds that have a physiological effect but are
licensed as additives, nutrients, or aides has added a few toads to this
witches brew. Riders want a list of what they can use and what they can
not. I wish I could give them one, but it is not available nor do I expect
that it ever will be. The rider is ultimately responsible. If they find
themselves in a grey area with a grey product, prudence dictates that the
product be withdrawn prior to competition. Use of products including
drugs between competitons is unregulated nor is it meant to be.

Thank you for hearing me out. On to the questions ........

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Ramey Peticolas-Stroud wrote:

> Dane,
>
> Your discussion about how positive drug tests are handled was great. It
> is comforting to know more about the process.
>
> I certainly don't want to wear you out with questions, but I am still in
> the dark as to exactly how a test is determined to be "positive."

Up to this time, I have addressed the no drugs philosophy of endurance
riding. From an enforcement angle (which we are now pursuing) what is
positive is what a testing laboratory can detect.

> How does the testing lab know what to test for? Are they given a
> standardized list of substances and nonacceptable levels?

The drug testing laboratory can not test for every known drug and is
limited by technology and chemistry (although these are very good) on what
they may detect. They
test for the common drugs that may be used in performance horses. These
include the stimulants, the depressants, the painkillers, and other
classes of drugs that give one horse an undue advantage over another
or threaten its health. These drugs are legal or illegal depending upon
the rules of the organization for which the test was run. The lab does
not determine legality, they just report what they find. In addition,
there are some drugs that do not themselves effect performance but may
interfere with the detection of other drugs that do. These are the
masking agents, and depending upon the rules of the requesting
organization, may also be considered illegal.

> Also, when the P&G Committee asks the Vet Committee for technical
> advice, do you have a reference list or is it simply a judgment call?

The known illegal drugs and the masking agents for which a test exists
are known. The presence of the drug in the horse violates the rule. The
thing speaks for itself (I think the law profession has a nice Latin term
that is appropriate here, but I can not recall it. Ramey?)
Understandably, the method of collection , the chanin of evidence, and
other documentation are also very important and necessary.The vet committee
does not arbitrarily pick a
particular product to be the poster child for the drug of the month.:)
Certainly the vet committee has access to other resources to provide the
information required by the P&G committee. These include the drug
manufacturer, their technical representatives, pharmacologists, the
testing laboratory personel, the committees of the American Association
of Equine Practioners, etc.

What is not known to the vet committee, the P&G committee, nor the
AERC board is which products or concoctions of products that are
available for unrestricted purchase may contain substances that can be
detected in the testing laboratory. The manufacturer may know or may
not, but if the product is not licensed as a drug , there is no
requirement to find out. If you use this product during competition
and a positive test results, you are responsible. CAVEAT EMPTOR -- LET THE
BUYER BEWARE.

The solution to drugs in endurance horses does not reside in Rule #13.
If you wish to use "Magic and Miracles" between rides, withdraw them 72
hours prior to competition and I can not but imagine that you will not
violate AERC rules. Excellent nutrition, meticulous preparation, and
careful implementation are the best performance enhancers. The secret to
success is doing the usual unusually well.

> > Thanks again.
>
> Ramey

You are most welcome. I hope I have answered your questions.

Regards

Dane