Re: "Nutrition"

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 12:31:31 -0800

Ummm...I wasn't sure where some of this thread originated, but I did
just want to throw in the warning that while glycogen loading has some
benefits for racehorses, etc., there's a fair amount of research that
suggests glycogen loading would be contraindicated in endurance horses,
that any benefits by having superloaded glycogen is overshadowed by
increased possibility of tying up. David Snow (an equine exercise
physiology god who produces a ton of research on this kind of thing)
told me at AESM last year that glycogen storage is considerably higher
in horses than in humans, that glycogen storage concentrations in a
normal horse is equivalent to that in a "loaded" human athlete. Also
that repletion after exercise is much slower (up to 92 hours) in horses
than it is in humans, which is why horses cannot compete as often as
humans after competitions that totally deplete glycogen stores. In Dr.
Snow's opinion, all that is required in endurance horses is a normal
high-energy diet and to avoid efforts at glycogen-loading per se, as
tying up has invariably been a factor time and again in research trials.

I wouldn't presume to speculate on benefits during short-term, maximal
exercise, as obviously Tom has the experience in this area. The
situation is entirely different, so probably the effects are entirely
different, as well.

Wasn't sure where this thread was going, just thought I'd throw this in
in case anyone was considering trying to glycogen (super) load a horse
before a race.

Susan Evans