Re: Endurance Medicine

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 09:32:14 -0800

RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:

> A really fit horse does like his work and like us, hardly considers it work.
> I have seen and expereicned the exhilaration of an enthuisatis horse after
> 50 or 100 miles. Nothing like it..nothing that money could make me do...just
> the joy of doing it and knowing it was done well.
>
> Teddy
>
> "JU$T $AY NEIGH!!!"

I agree with Teddy (and others)...the best feeling in the world is to
drop the reins the last half mile before the finish line and have the
horse spontaneously break into a big, happy lope, ears up, tail up, like
as not throwing in a buck or two just to let Mom know he's in better
shape than Mom is. Like we didn't already know that.

I remember reading somewhere about a horse that was coming into the
finish (first) after doing 100 miles in under ten hours, spooked at a
hose stretched across the trail and threw a bucking fit before he would
cross the "trail goblin". Undoubtedly, he/she was tired, but that sure
sounds like there was some starch left in that cookie.

With apologies for mixing my metaphors...

Susan Evans