Re[2]: Gut sounds

Phil Woods (prw@okway.okstate.edu)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:51:17 -0800

Susan,

Thank you for your response. The tenor of my response to the original
posting is that one needs to be aware of the true effects of drugs,
nutrients and other medications if one is administering them to ones
beast. It is also important that as an endurance rider one understands
what physiologic changes occur as a horse progresses through 50-100
miles of competition. Some horse owners go totally overboard in giving
various additives to a horse in athletic competition, while ignoring
or being ignorant of the basics of the effects of the exercise upon
the horse, reaching for the magic drug that is going to win them the
Tevis Cup or Kentucky Derby. Not appreciating the limitations of an
animal's ability and thinking that by squirting substance X in to the
horse that it will go better is all too common. There is a very fine
line between medicating to optimize a horse's condition and medicating
to hide a horse's condition, and there is an intrinsic conflict in any
athletic endeavour between good sportsmanship and using medications to
gain a competitive edge.

As to the specifics of use of probiotics, if you keep your horse in
good condition during the ride by maintaining hydration and appetite,
they should not be needed. I know of no evidence to suggest that the
bacterial flora of the gastrointestinal tract is adversely affected
during a ride if hydration and appetite are maintained.

In closing, I'm advocating sticking to the basics. My posting was not
meant as an assult upon your beliefs. My comments were general in
nature, and hopefully aimed to flush out some further discussion and
reflection upon the use of various medications in endurance riding.
There is always an element in a sporting group that is looking for
that advantage, and to hell with the cost to the horse; such people
are deluding themselves, they probably don't give a damn anyway.

Phil.