Re: A Saddle Miracle (story)

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:21:39 +0000

Hi Diane,

If your horse is comfy, you're comfy, why not reconsider using it
for the trail. You say you can't get out of the seat, but you
should remember anyway that most riders rise too far anyway, a
small easing out of the saddle is all that's necessary,if you
modify your style I bet you'll find the new rising trot much less
tiring for yourself.

My old endurance horse had a really bouncy trot, I'd never realised
until I got my youngster, its like comparing a sailing dingy to the
QE2 on rough seas, rising trot on my youngster is just so easy in
this modified form,much less tiring, where as I had no choice with
my old horse, I was jet propelled out of the saddle by his gait.

Regards

Jan

Subject: A Saddle Miracle (story)
Author: NELSONDE@apci.com at email
Date: 09/12/96 08:27

Well, I never thought it would happen to me. And it was dumb luck. I took
my Stubben Survival to the Horse Connection in Pottstown, PA to sell (they
have a used tack department) and on a whim looked at the rack of used
dressage saddles. Now the plan, since Kevin took off for the wilds of
Kansas City, was to retire Mr T and I could turn him into "my dressage
horse" (and no, I haven't discussed this with him yet). So, since you
can't do "nice dressage" in a Sharon Saare or an Orthoflex eventing saddle,
I thought I could pick up something cheap just to fool around. They had a
couple 18" seat, very old cinder blocks masquerading as saddles and....an
apparently brand new Rembrandt with a 19" seat, less than half the cost
retail. Hmmm, I thought, seat's certainly big enough, feels comfy, why
not.

So home we go--next day I drag his most royal out of the field, along with
Kasey for company, and we play dress-up. Saddle fit "OK", withers/shoulder
area really quite good, not too long on his back given the 19" seat, but a
little bit of bridging just forward of the seat bone area. Since I'm at a
dressage barn, I had an instant audience, and many observations as to
fit--with reminders that I'm *not* going to be spending 6 hours at a clip in
this saddle and it probably would "do".

Kasey starts pushing me with his nose, looking for attention, so on a whim I
put the saddle on him....and A MIRACLE happened. The saddle nestled onto
his back as if it were custom made for him....perfect at the withers,
contact the entire length, balanced as if leveled for his back. We all
stood there in awe--not a one of us had ever seen a saddle just plain fit
perfectly.

And by now, our weather had deteriorated to a cold rain/sleet so I couldn't
have my lesson/saddle trial (the ring had 4" of icy snow anyway) but that
didn't deter me. We rode on the pavement and up and down a cleared driveway
so I could at least see if the saddle was balanced for me. Another
miracle--this saddle puts my legs where I've been trying for years to get
them to fall...suddenly all the admonitions to drop your knee, sit just so,
blah, blah, blah...will no longer be necessary! The right equipment, fit
well, makes the job a no-brainer!

This is one nice saddle...a new one would be completely out of my price
range, and I got it at a steal (I should wear a ski mask next time I go to
the tack store). Can I use it on trail? Probably not. It is very secure,
has wonderful knee rolls (you all know how I worship knee rolls--too many
years in a Stubben)...but you can't get out of the saddle to save your life.
But that's OK...it's designed for dressage and dressage is what I'll use it
for.

But..but...but--it's for the WRONG horse! Hey Kasey, ever hear of
free-walk-on-long-rein?

So now I'm primed to do ring work. Sunday was a gorgeous day, almost warm,
so I saddled Kasey, in the Orthoflex, to go out on trail for a 1/2 hour to
warm up (I always do trail first, before I head into the ring and ask for
bending and flexion). Two hours later, following a couple real adventures
that included having one of the Friesan girls walk right over the electric
fence hanging low on the ground and come to visit, necessitating me
"herding" her back into the field and doing quick repairs on a live wire (my
hair curled briefly), we wandered back to the barn. Oh, I was supposed to
do something...what was it? Oops, ring work. Well there's always next
week.

And I will have a chat with Mr T...surely there can be some accomodation
made...some compromise--2/3 trail, 1/3 ring perhaps? He didn't buy it when
he was nine--what are the odds at 18?

Diane @ Safe Haven
Allentown, PA (we dodged the blizzard bullet, this time)