RE: Drugs (long)

Al Randall. (maven@foothills.eznet.com)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:22:30 -0800

Dane, nice job! The addition of MSM and Flex Free to a horses diet is =
done to increase the amount of sulfur in the tissues and synovial fluid =
to prevent the deterioration of both soft and hard tissues. I just use =
it, daily, to prevent early degeneration of my horses body. I want him =
happy and healthy for as many years as possible. Best regards, Al

----------
From: Dane Lee Frazier[SMTP:dfrazier@mail.llion.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 1996 1:44 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Drugs (long)

Here goes something for which I will probably be sorry later. There=20
have been several posts about the AERC drug policy that only Truman has=20
addressed (and a good job too -- thanks). Since I had a small part in=20
the formulation of this policy, perhaps I should "cowboy up" and try to=20
shed some light (and not some heat) on this controversial subject.

Most of us can agree that a substance like phenybutazone is a drug --=20
that it is an analgesic (pain killer) and a NSAID (nonsteroidal=20
antiinflammatory drug). Most will agree that it should not be used in=20
competition to mask pain in horses so that it can continue to perform. =20
After this collusion of opinion on substances like "bute", agreement and =

understanding of what is a drug and what we should do about them=20
deteriorates rapidly.

The response to the discussion of drugs becomes analogous to the =
response=20
of a group of parishioners to the sermons of a new pastor. In the Ozark =

hills where I live, a large number of the local congregation made a=20
significant contribution to their income (but not to the federal tax=20
collector) by fermenting local grains into "moonshine". =20

In the pastor's first sermon, he condemned stealing and the congregation =

responded with shouts of "Amen". He then proceeded to decry the =
practice=20
of fornication which resulted in shouts of "Hallelujah and Praise the=20
Lord". He began to finish the sermon with a condemnation of the evils =
of=20
strong drink -- for which he was received with silence. One of the=20
deacons of the church turned to another and said, "The parson has =
stopped=20
preaching and has started meddling." And, so it seems to be with any=20
discourse on drugs and drug policy.

Much confusion seeems to have been generated due to the lack of=20
definition as to what is a drug and what is a nutrient. A drug is a=20
substance that has a physiological effect THAT IS NOT A NUTRIENT.
All nutrients are included in one of six classes:

water
carbohydrate
protein
fat
vitamins
minerals

Certainly, nutrients have a physiolocial effect or we would not be=20
engaging in this discourse. Since AERC rule 13 addresses drugs, it by=20
definition is not intented to regulate nutrients. Therefore, please, =
let=20
us not muddy these waters concerning drugs by implying that the=20
veterinary committee of the AERC nor its Board of Directors wishes you =
to=20
stop feeding your horses (nor giving them electrolytes).

Some of the posts have requested a list of allowables and non allowables =

with withdrawals times for substances in each group. A complete list =
can=20
not be provided for it does not exist -- and if it did it would be out =
of=20
date tomorrow. The range of substances fed to horses to "enhance=20
performance" is too large and changes too rapidly. An incomplete list =
of=20
substances known to test has been provided when all of this was =
presented=20
to the membership of the AERC a few years ago. (another benefit of=20
belonging to the national organization representing our sport.)

Without question, the role that additives, herbs, and nutriceuticals=20
play creates our greatest migrains. Let me give you three examples.

In the late 19th century, an English midwife achieved some success in=20
treating people with "dropsy" (accumulation of fluid in the distal=20
extremities or body cavity due to congestive heart failure) with a tea=20
made from the leaves of the purple foxglove, a common member of the=20
figwort family. Many, many years later it was found that the purple=20
foxglove contained the drug, digitalis, which has provided for the =
effect=20
of the tea. Today, I have digitalis (digoxin/digitoxin) in liquid and=20
pill form on the shelf in my practice. Would you claim that the=20
digitalis in the bottle is a drug while the digitalis in the plant is=20
only a herb? =20

Many of the nutriceuticals also cause us problems. Methyl Sulfonyl=20
Methane (MSM) is an antiinflammatory substance with properties similar =
to=20
Dimethyl Sufoxide (DMSO). It is licensed as a nutritional source of=20
sulfur (a mineral and therefore a nutrient) and not as a drug. Now,=20
sulfur can be bought of a nickel a pound while MSM costs twenty dollars =
a=20
pound. I propose that you are not feeding MSM to your horse because you =

feel it is deficient in sulfur.

Lastly, before you run out of patience, let us consider water -- in its=20
solid form, ice. Running water and ice application are common ways in=20
which to cool horses or reduce acute swelling. If ice is applied longer =

and more directly , it becomes a topical anesthetic which can mask local =

pain as surely as lidocaine. Don't worry -- no one has advocated the=20
elimination of ice nor that you don't let your horse drink.

These examples are only a few that could be used to demonstrate the=20
complexity of the drug isssue. Yet, even for substances on which we can =

agree are drugs, AERC policy and rules do not prohibit you from using=20
them to aid in the resolution of some affliction of your horse. Just do =

not use them when they can affect the performance of your horse during=20
competition. These substances then may threaten the health and welfare=20
of the horse which is the primary concern of the AERC or they can=20
unlevel the playing field which can give one competitor an unfair=20
advantage over another.

To this end the AERC prohibits the administration of abnormal substances =

(bute, isoxuprine, anesthetics, stimulants, depressants, masking agents, =

etc.) or normal substances in abnormal amounts (anabolic steroids,=20
glucocorticoids, dopamine, epenephrine, etc.) which may be detected=20
during competition.=20

Lastly, I would like to pose the question as to why anyone feels the =
need=20
to have any of these substances in their horse on ride day. If you =
claim=20
that you are not enhancing performance but are only trying to maintain=20
longevity, then you may be fooling the person in the mirror -- and your =

horse -- more than you are fooling me.

I ams sure this is not the end to the drug debate. If fact, it is not=20
even the beginning. I hope the noise to traffic ratio stays low.

Have a nice day and I wish to each and every one of you a Merry =
Christmas!:)

Regards

Dane L. Frazier DVM