Re: Dissapearing Trails?

RGoodwin (richard.goodwin@lc.ca.gov)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:03:33 -0800

Connie Hoge wrote:

> RE: diverse concerns, would be interested in whats going on around the
> country regarding the "room to ride" issue.

We have hundreds of miles of wonderful trails here in Northern CA, but
the ones most threatened are those that let many of us ride out our own
back gate to link up with the "real trails."

Our local trail preservation efforts are starting to focus on mapping
where these in-town/near-town trails are located, so that when a piece
of property changes hands and/or the owner proposes a change in land
use, the county planning agency will know if there is a trail affected.
We appear to be lucky (I hope not unique!) in that our local agency is
interested in working with us on this.

The challenge is to draw the location of each trail on maps that also
show the plot boundries. Using USGS topo maps is OK for the big
picture, but simply won't cut it for "legal" purposes.

If anyone has experience with documenting their trails at this level,
I'd love to hear from them!

Happy Holidays! /richard

--
Natalie's Barn & Breakfast -- a B&B for horses ...and their riders
Visit us at http://www.foothill.net/natalies