Re: Unidentified subject!

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:15:54 -0800

Diane F Arnett wrote:

> > I do breed and occassionally sell a horse. Part of what I consider is
> > setting a price is what kind of home will a partciular $$ amount attract.
> > Not always true, but I do go by the theory that if someone pays "good money"
> > for a horse, he/she is more likely to be a better owner.
> >
> Teddy,
> I have to strongly disagree with the statement that if someone
> pays "good money" for a horse, he/she is more likely to be a better
> owner. I have a VERY tight budget, and am not able to afford a lot of
> money for my horse, in fact still making payments.
> BUT, I GUARANTEE you if a horse had the luck of making his new
> home my home he would have landed in the most loving, caring place he
> could hope for, being cared by someone who's husband complains constantly
> that my first thought when I wake up in the morning and my last thought
> when I go to bed at night is my horse.
>
> Dianna Arnett

Dianna,

I think maybe what Teddy meant (?) was that if someone pays alot for a
horse, hopefully they're going to take care of it, if nothing else to
protect their investment. I think most endurance riders are evidence
that you don't have to be rich to be a good owner. I used to be the
Foal Supervisor (fancy title for sitting in cold barns with sick babies
at night) at an equine hospital and I noticed very often that while
everyone was paying the same amount of money for their horse to be
there, it was the backyard horses and their not-rich owners who came in
every day to visit and sit with their horses (and you'd be amazed at
the difference it sometimes makes), while it was the wealthy owners with
big buck horses that tended more to call in just to talk to the vet and
make sure the horse would survive. A subtle difference and no slams to
anyone, there were plenty of exceptions on both sides, just an
observation.

Susan Evans