Re: Be careful in the mud

C. Morse (cmorse@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 06:34:36 -0800

DreamWeaver wrote:

> At 06:58 PM 12/11/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >The rule about riding muddy areas is: Ride through the mud, not around it.
> > That way you have a 3 foot wide mud hole and not a twenty foot wide mud
> >hole and those light of feet have half a chance of not getting those white
> >Nikes muddy. You're horse is trained to go where you want it to, isn't it?
>
> Just be REAL careful when going thru mud. A gal who lives in my
> neighborhood had to put her horse down last year after it broke it's leg
> going thru only a few inches of mud in the trail. Please be VERY careful!!!
>
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Karen
> in Gardnerville
> & Weaver
> & Rocky
> http://www.greatbasin.net/~sportssaddle
> Finally!!!

Last spring, while riding on a commonly-used trail, I came across
a mudhole. It didn't look too bad so I decided to ride through it
rather than take a secondary trail further down. Well, Kitty
sank in up to her *belly*!! There were tracks from dirt bikes and
four-wheelers going thru the mud ... no way to know it was that
deep!

I stepped off her back, led her out (she didn't sink quite so far
once I was off her), checked her over, then walked home and gave
her several days off while I watched for problems.

You just never know.

Caroline and the Appys in NH

--
"We're Starfleet officers... weird is part of the job."
          Capt. Janeway, U.S.S. Voyager