>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:15:15 -0500
>From: "Flemmer, Linda" <LFlemmer@CHKD.com>
>To: "'rtsantana@ucdavis.edu'" <rtsantana@ucdavis.edu>
>Subject: Drugs/Normal substances

>Ray,
>>You wrote:
>>I know rule 13 has been a source of controversy since it's inception
>>but
>>it does give us the general guideline that no normally internally
>>occuring
>>substance should be administered to an endurance horse in competition
>>in abnormal amounts. Detectable or not!
>>-----------------------------------------------------------

> We can all agree that electrolytes are "normally
>internally occurring substance(s)". Were we to follow this rule, we
>would not be administering electrolytes to our horses thru the ride. We
>all recognize that a horse would most likely not finish a hot, lengthy
>ride without them, so they are definitely "performance enhancing". We
>are certainly administering larger quantities (read abnormal quantities)
>than the horse may be willing or able to consume if left to his own
>devices.

>Where do electrolytes fall in this? Are they specifically addressed in
>the supplement regarding drugs? (I have never received that supplement,
>so I am in the dark here.) If they aren't, should they be?

>Linda Flemmer

Linda,
Thanks for your above observations, however electrolyte/salt are NOT
NORMALLY INTERNAL
OCCURING SUBSTANCES and all mammals must consume an adequate supply of
salts or die! The expension of salts through sweating causes the need for
electrolytic compounds to increase and an animal will seek out "abnormal"
amounts to replenish what it has lost. Electrolytes are essential to
proper cell functions and absorption of other nutrients thus they are not
considered "performance enhancing" they are a normal part of life. I know
my horse would eat all the salt I could put in front of him on a hot day
or after exercise. He consumes a 5lb block in two days! That's a lot of
salt!
My feeling, and I'm not an expert on the rules of endurance rides, is
these are facts of life and veterinarians recognize the need for
electrolyte replacement.
Runners, I used to be one, as well riders know they need extra
salts/electrolytes and take supplements during competition in excess of
what they would take in normally through food intake. Horses are no
different and we have to provide them with the correct replacement based
on their need. Unfortunately they can't ask us for more salt so we have to
guess their need. Hopefully we tend to do what is right.

The World Equestrian Games a few years ago were going to disallow the
administration of electrolytes by syringe due to the possible "look of
drugging" but relented when the riders protested vehemently.

Raymond Santana
Network Operations
UC Davis Medical Center
Sacramento, CA