Re: MONEY PRIZES: COSEQUIN CHALLENGE

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
(no date)

Hi Becky,

I'm really happy to see your input on this. As one of the few sponsored
riders in America and one of the first it seems input from folks like you
is very important overall.

It may well be that those of us who aren't as prepared as you may well be
"jumping the gun" as Teddy pointed out. I can't wait to see Valarie's
point of view once Teddy transcribes the fax she sent her.

I'm still in favor of a purely amatuer division as I've noted before.
Since we already have a FEI structure it seems the perfect way to deal
with the ever changing face of endurance. I also agree with Bob Morris'
viewpoint on professional jockies on the horizon, but that's pure
conjecture on my part. Perhaps, Bob with his finger on the pulse a bit
more then I, has a more informed basis of formulating his opinion.

As one who's spent a lot of time retraining racehorses for fiscal gain, I
am and have been most vocal since the 80's over USENET that
professionalism in regards to horses isn't evil. I would also like to
point out that Sandy Adams idea that qualified amatuers should be
^^^^^^^^^
allowed to compete with professionals just as they are in many other
sports.

Most of us know the financial burden is immense. Bringing to mind the New
Zealand entrant at The Hague WEG being forced to sell their horse rather
then being able to brng him home. On site no less. Some light at the end
of the tunnel is welcome, but I still feel strongly that riders and mounts
such as yourself should be seperated from anyone who has a pencil and an
entry fee when money is involved. There simpl,y has to be a qualifing
system. We all know that there are bozos out there who'll override their
horses for 5K. Your prospective from the best pal of the greatest
endurance horse that ever lived is obviously exempt from anything remotely
close to that state of mind.

Stagg used to contribute to this listserver from time to time. I'd love
to hear his input as well.

BTW good to see ya here.

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 RandomRio@aol.com wrote:

> IAHA, Race of Champions and World Championships have all offered monetary
> prizes. Having participated in most of these rides, I have never seen riders
> pass up an injured rider or horse, attempt to shove someone off their horse
> or be any more or less rude than they normally are on other rides. Some

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, California 93402-2715
"it won't matter what you're saying when
the damage has all been done"
Mary Chapin Carpenter