Re: Nutramax Labs/cash prizes

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 21:24:51 -0800

RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:

> Deadline for January issue of AERC News is December 10th...THAT is the issue
> to put an GOOD article in about these discussions... in..not February. We
> need to allow plenty of time for the rest of AERC to go through what we have
> gone through in these discussions to come to intelligent conclusions.
>
> Who is willing to put together a good article??? Susan???you already have a
> great start don't you???
>
> Teddy

Teddy,

I'm happy to write something, and I have the time on Monday, but are you
looking for something to go into Mailbag or a true "article"? If the
former, I can very briefly state what we've all been talking about, that
we're concerned that this not get out of hand, that if sponsors are
brought in there should be some control somewhere so both the sponsors
and the sport are not damaged, but then it's just my opinion more or
less.

If you/everyone/anyone wants me to write something more than that, ie an
article/general discussion of possible outcomes and implications (and I
do try to be fair and open-minded and will keep my personal feelings
out of it, I promise), then I need some more facts and history about how
FEI/ROC and other rides have handled cash awards and big ticket awards.

Also, it is only fair that I contact Valerie directly to allow her input
and explanation of this---how Cosequin got involved, the development of
their ideas for qualifications, etc. Also, I'd like to talk to Becky
Hart and get her input, if she's willing, as one of the most successful
riders at this level. She has some good points to make and she has a
slightly different perspective than many of us non-international
riders. I'm more than happy to write this (and thank you for asking,
Teddy), but only if it's not going to be a hatchet job on anyone. So if
it's going to be fair and objective, it has to present all sides and I
need some help getting this background information and the appropriate
contact numbers for Valerie and Becky. I'll be seeing Mike Tomlinson
this weekend, so will corner him there.

OK, I've said my piece. The balls in your court, guys.

Susan Evans