Re: Vaccinations/Shock

adrienne suzanne pape (pape@students.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:58:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996 TETERVIN@bms.com wrote:

> Anaphylactic reactions are quite uncommon but they do occur. I keep epi on
> hand when doing vaccinations. It can be bought from most of the vet supply
> catalogs or from your vet. You only need a very small amount to create an
> impressive response from a horse- my vet said to give 1 cc and stand back.
> I've been doing vaccinations on many horse for 15 years and no one has ever
> had an anaphylactic reaction (not even me!) -Amy

Just a note:
There has been a worldwide shortage of epinephrine the last
several months. We are unable to stock it right now at the store where I
work. If you come across some, be sure to grab an extra vial or two as
long as the exp. date is far into the future. Rumor has it that they will
be reserving a lot of it for human use. I don't know how well founded the
rumor is, but no one in our area can get epi. right now...Doesn't hurt to
have a little extra on hand.
In answer to the first question, in all of the vaccines that we
sell at the store, during the two years I have been there, we've never
had anyone experience anyphylactic shock. It IS fairly uncommon, but
there's always a first!

Adie

"The really happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery when he
has to take a detour."

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no
horses." --R.B. Cunninghame Graham