Re: Replacement fencing suggestions

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:29:59 +0000

Hello Ellen,

Haven't used the stuff your talking about, but have seen it used on
race course gallops. It tends to be nailed to the wooden posts,
and have noticed it does stretch over time.

I have a similar sized paddock and have used wooden posts and
electric fencing, the wide 2inch stuff, the plastic keepers are
screwed into the posts, which is easy to do. Yes the electric stuff
does stretch, but with the keepers you can loosen them off and
restretch the tape. I have found this the best fencing, as wooden
rails tend to get chewed by my youngster, he's left the electric
fencing alone!! I've had the electric fencing up for 4 years now
and the wire thread does tend to break over the years with movement
of the tape. However you can buy wire tread and patch it up if you
wish to. I rarely actually have the perimeter fence switched on,
but use more tape to section the field into three, so that I can
rotate the grazing, its that run that I electrify, to stop them
going where I don't want them.

Hope this may help

Regards

Jan Evans