Re: Cash Prizes

Rebecca Hackworth (bechack@cnsii.com)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:23:45 -0800

At 08:46 AM 12/4/96 -0500, you wrote:

><< Subj: Cash Prizes
> <<Date: 96-12-04 00:44:58 EST
> <<From: bechack@cnsii.com (Rebecca Hackworth)
> <<To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>
> <<OK, so don't give the winner of the race the " prize" at all, award it
> <<to the" Best condition" winner. After all, isn't that what our
> <<underlying goal really is?
>
> <<This only if "big prizes" win out. I am against big money/cash
> <<awards/etc.
>
> <<Becky Hackworth
>
> Not to open another can of worms..BUT, many of your should remember the days
>when BC was judged subjectively. AERC has helped to standardize this, but
>still, there is MUCH room for subjectivity. IF prize money is offered to BC,
>we are STILL going to have problems.
>
>Teddy
>Oh, no, don't get me wrong....I would rather NO BIG CASH MONEY BE OFFERED
for all the aforementioned reasons. I wholeheartedly agree. This is why I
love this sport. The laid back atmosphere, the friendly people. I too feel
that would all change with the almighty buck.

I have enough stress in my life..work..family...money, cutthroat
competition is not why I am here.

I offered this as a sort of compromise to the "winner" taking the cash award.

I am now more in favor of the other support suggestions. Scholorships,
trail fuinds, campgrounds (with showers?) "no hands bridge" etc are much
more appropriate.

Becky Hackworth