Re: cash prizes

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:50:07 -0800

Linda VanCeylon wrote:

> I just chatted with Brad Patterson, AERC Mountain Region director, on the
> phone. He said the AERC office has sent notification that the Cosequin
> Challenge would be soon comming up for a mail-in vote

Who's voting? The general membership or just the directors? Sorry, I'm
a little dense about these things.

> His question to the general membership (we being a small slice of that
> body) is -- What are the specific limitations to prize money or goods that
> we think should be imposed (if any)?
>
> Since there already are sanctioned rides which allow big $ prizes, where
> should we draw the line?
>
> What is an acceptable amount for any one prize or any total distribution of
> prizes?

This is just my opinion...I think that NO money should be awarded for
finishing placement. If any cash prizes are ever awarded, they should
only go for BC and they should be fairly minimal amounts, too small to
attract the "professionals". Maybe $250? If large value items, like
trailers, are awarded, it should be done to attract more overall riders
and completers, not just racers---as was earlier described, you become
eligible for a drawing for a trailer by completing, regardless of
placement.

I strongly oppose any kind of award for placement beyond what we already
award---that is, points, glory, maybe a blanket or jacket. I think
value of this placement award shouldn't exceed $100, unless it's a free
entry for next year's ride. And absolutely no cash for placements,
period.

I think if corporate sponsors want to be involved in a ride, they should
be allowed to do so by donating to an appropriate charity/trail fund, or
by doing something that equally benefits all the riders---for example,
instead of handing a big check to the winner, how about lots of little
checks to all the completers? It'll have the effect of saying "you
complete the ride in good shape, and we'll reimburse your entry fee".

Thanks for passing on the comments, Linda.

Susan Evans, #6747