Re: Daily Wormers - Again!

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:26:07 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Kathy Seibolt wrote:

> I hate to bring this up again (we had a thread on this back in 96Jan).
> I checked the archives on the subject and found that at least 3 people
> had (or knew of others who had) experienced problems with anemia after
> prolonged use of Strongid C.

Well the thread goes back even further, back to the introduction of the
product. The only data I've seen is from the manufacturer. Rose and I have
owned their stock for years and it's been very good to us. :) Still trade
rules are explict. Pfizer will be more then happy to supply you with all
the research data you would want to read actually. The active ingrediant
is less then 1% of the orginal dose product. It's pyrantel tartrate, I
cannot imagine the mechanism for anemia in healthy horses. I once taught
university level biochemistry.

Of course, one might fear that as Pfizer has a vested interest, and with
the recent reminder by the national archive of just how powerful people
love to cover up and revise the truth you might wish to delve further.
Dr. Don Warden did independant testing. He's retired from his vet practice
now, but his number is listed in Los Osos, California. I would have a
problem taking an opinion not factored by a test, mean and placebo group
as fact. Too many other biochemical factors are possibly present. As I
recall Dr. Ed Squires, PhD did research to the positive as well. He has
tenure at Colorado State. A quick note would probably get a reply or
finger him for an e-mail account.

Given the immense good the product does I wouldn't remove it from my
horse's regimen on rumor. If in extreme doubt, I would take blood samples
and have them tested on a weekly basis rather then add other supplements
on speculation.

Hope this helps,

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, California 93402-2715
"it won't matter what you're saying when
the damage has all been done"
Mary Chapin Carpenter