Re: Bran, wheat

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:35:50 -0800

It is the phosphorus in the bran that prevents calcium absorbtion. The
fact that P blocks Ca absorbtion is why Ca/P ratio is important. I do not
understand the low nutritive comment. See my earlier post on nutrition
values of bran. Tom seems to think that bran blocks nutrient absorbtion,
but doesn't have any hard studies. Perhaps it is the Ca/P thing stated
differently. I personally do not usually feed bran. Bought some once,
took over 2 years to use it up.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: DreamWeaver <karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Bran, wheat
> Date: Monday, November 25, 1996 7:06 PM
>
> >From my Veterinary Manual for the Performance Horse by Nancy Loving,
DVM.

> Bran. Another low nutritive, but filling, grain product commonly used is
> wheat bran. Bran is high in fiber, low in energy, and about 15% protein.
> Not only is it extremely high in phosphorus, but it also binds calcium in
> horse's body. This characteristic makes bran useful to balance high
calcium
> diets of legume hays. Half a pound of bran a day is a nice treat and may
> increase a horse's water consumption, especially if fed as a mash.
Although