Re[2]: BRAN MASHES/Tying Up/Corn Oil

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Tue, 26 Nov 96 11:14:29 EST

I've owned one horse that had problems tying up. I suspect it was feed related.
He was raised in eastern Oregon where all his hay was alfalfa although he was on
pasture a good part of the year. This area is Selenium deficient. I bought him
and shipped him to Oahu where he had only light browsing and basicly ate alfalfa
free feed. This was pretty much the only hay available and it was grown in a
selenium deficient area. This guy was a 16.2 hand large framed TB that tipped
the scale at 1350 lb at the equine clinic. He was fed a cup of rolled barley,
1-2 cups bran, 1/2-1 cup corn oil and Source.

His first case of tying up was exercise induced. Dumped me way the heck out in
the pineapple fields and bolted home at a dead run. Found him 2 miles later tied
up bad. He had two more episodes after that where he got excited/upset and tied
up. Ridden 6-7 times a week.

The vet at the time suspected first a selenium deficiency and secondly she
thought the oil was blocking absorpsion of Vit E in his gut and therefore since
E and Se are linked, causing a even greated Se dificiency. He was put on an Se/E
supplement while all the other factors remained the same. No further tying up
episodes.

So, what are the links to high protein diet, corn oil, selenium and E? Was the
bran a factor. I doubt it. Think a lot of fear about bran use is old wives
tales. In this case where I had to feed calcium rich alfalfa it was a balancer
anyway. Anyway I have been warned since then to always consider Selenium/E when
feeding more than a 1/2 cup or so of oil. Anyone know anything more about oil
and gut absorption problems???

Bonnie Snodgrass