Re: BRAN, etc.

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:10:36 -0800

At 12:54 AM 11/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>My vet here in Southern California recommends NOT feeding bran as it may
>promote the growth/development of enteroliths. He says that the soil/water
>has a high alkaline content and that the bran is not a good thing to feed.
> He suggests using psyllium for helping to prevent colic and for wet mashes
>to use something like A&M instead. Has anyone else heard this?

Some of the vets in my area recommend a sloppy bran mash twice a week in the
winter months to keep the system moving along. It is not uncommon, during
severe winter weather for 7 or 8 horses in just my neighborhood to colic. I
usually follow this advice, and so far (knock on wood) have never had any
horse show any signs of colic. I also give them psyllium once a week.

Sloppy bran mashes can mean different things to different people, however.
To me a sloppy bran mash means three or four gallons of (warm) water and
about two or three cups of bran, and 1/2 to 1 cup of psyllium pellets. Took
them awhile to get used to it, but now they love it.

Instead of bran at rides recently, I've been using crimped oats soaked
overnight in water. Has/does anybody else does this? Is this a good thing?
My one horse in particular practically inhales it, I can put almost anything
in it and he still likes it.

Wasn't there an article a couple of years ago in EN about bran
(specifically, rice bran) causing enterloliths in horses? What is A&M?

My neighbor has one (enterolith) the size of an ostrich egg that was removed
from one of their horses. The x-ray showed it started from a small piece of
wire. I think the horse was at UC Davis and they thought the cause was from
the horse eating alfalfa all it's life (it was 27).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver