Re: vinegar

KIMBERLY PRICE (PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:46:25 -0800

hi Lucy,

It is not only hard water that will cause stones (In fact, thats the
first I ever heard hard water would), but the alfalfa in Northern Cal
is known for its high mineral content. It is recommended by any vet
I've come across not to feed just straight alfalfa. I don't know if
that applies to other parts of the country...

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Petaluma, CA

You wrote:

>Some time ago, I was reading the story about Warpaint and his gut
stones >(if that's what they're called) on the Endurance.net web page.
I also >remember reading something about these stones being caused by
hard water >and that if you add vinegar to the horse's feed, it can
help prevent >stone formation.

>So I assume, when Linda wrote:
>
>> My gelding Shatirr can eat buckets with apple cider vinegar just
fine...

>that maybe she has hard water.
>If not, why *do* you add apple cider vinegar, Linda? (is apple cider
more >palatable?)

>(just curious)
>
>Which got me thinking. I think the post suggested adding a cup or so
>to the feed each day. Say you have two horses, so you end up using 14
cups of>vinegar a week... where can you buy vinegar in these
quantities? I live>in a hard water area, so was considering (if I ever
actually had a horse>to feed)<grin> that this might be a good thing.