Re: First Ride Completion

Allen Xrealname Linda Eisele (linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:27:39 -0800 (PST)

At 04:09 PM 11/21/96 -0800, Deanne Del Vecchio wrote:
>Linda Eisele wrote:
>
>> let him move out and didn't fight with him till the edge was off, 5-7 miles
>> then he settled down.
>
>I've wondered what is better to do--fight with the horse at the beginning of
>a ride to try to keep some control or to let him run like a fool until he
>calms down (don't know if my guy will actually calm down before he runs
>himself to death...never really wanted to test that one.)
>
>What do most of you generally do?
>
>I prefer to start after the crowd, but I've been on rides where you have to
>start with everyone...

Oh no, I don't want to give anyone who is new to the sport the wrong
impression. You should never let a horse take off like a fool at the
biginning of a ride. I agree with Wendy whole heartily that the horse
should be listening to the rider, responsive balanced and round. My problem
with my horse's 1st ride, he was round alright, TOO ROUND, as in HUMP IN THE
BACK!!! I opted to be going forward rather than up, till his back relaxed.
Alot of our horses, due to excitment go alittle faster at the beginning than
we like. Here good judgement and knowing your horse helps. My horse takes
5-7 miles before he settles down to his usual pace. If I insist on that
pace from the start he will burn up as much energy going no wheres. We
compromise for a few miles but is no means out of control. There's where
you can get in trouble. If I have to, I'll let everyone get out of sight.

Here's lookin back atya.......()()
Linda Eisele & Sareei and ('')\
hubby, Allen and the General (* *)\\_______~~~~~~~
linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us ( )