Re: vinegar

Diane F Arnett (rumor@ksu.edu)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:30:09 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Lucy Chaplin Trumbull wrote:

> Some time ago, I was reading the story about Warpaint and his gut stones
> (if that's what they're called) on the Endurance.net web page. I also
> remember reading something about these stones being caused by hard water
> and that if you add vinegar to the horse's feed, it can help prevent
> stone formation.
>
> So I assume, when Linda wrote:
>
> > My gelding Shatirr can eat buckets with apple cider vinegar just fine...
>
> that maybe she has hard water.
> If not, why *do* you add apple cider vinegar, Linda? (is apple cider more
> palatable?)
>
> (just curious)
>
> Which got me thinking. I think the post suggested adding a cup or so
> to the feed each day. Say you have two horses, so you end up using 14 cups of
> vinegar a week... where can you buy vinegar in these quantities? I live
> in a hard water area, so was considering (if I ever actually had a horse
> to feed)<grin> that this might be a good thing.
>
> --
> Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
> Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA
>
> http://www.calweb.com/~elsie
> http://www.calweb.com/~trouble

I heard that apple cider vinegar fed regularly and started before
fly season really helps get rid of flies. Of course this doesn't work
unless you are isolated from other horses, or if not isolated all other
horses in the are use apple cider vinegar. This is just what I've been
told, I've never actually tried it.

Dianna Arnett
Manhattan, KS