Re: vinegar

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:51:58 -0800

> ...remember reading something about these stones being caused by hard water
> and that if you add vinegar to the horse's feed, it can help prevent
> stone formation.
>
> So I assume, when Linda wrote:
>
> > My gelding Shatirr can eat buckets with apple cider vinegar just fine...
>
> that maybe she has hard water. If not, why *do* you add apple cider
> vinegar, Linda? (is apple cider more palatable?)

A bunch of my friends were feeding to their horses because it supposedly
helped with endrolyths AND because it was suppose to repel flys! I slowly
built up to the "minimum suggested amount" which was 1/2 cup every other
day in a grain/mash bucket. The first ride with the vinegar in him found
me carrying the saddle (a Wintec - thank god!) breastcolar and girth
15 miles out of the mountains; his skin scalded to the point where he
was unridable for over 5 weeks. Skin turned black everywhere he sweat
(loins, neck etc) and came off in thin sheets.

It's the ONLY time I've heard of this happening, BTW.

> Say you have two horses, so you end up using 14 cups of
> vinegar a week... where can you buy vinegar in these quantities?

Buy it by the gallon at Cosco, or sweet-talk your favorite resteraunt into
ordering you a case wholesale.

Linda
Gilroy, California