Re: hay in the trailer

Pamela M. Corley (pcorley@hsc.usc.edu)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:35:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Diana L. Benson wrote:

> I don't feed in a trailer if it has a manger. My sweet little (14-3)
> mare nearly choked to death when I was hauling her only 23 miles to a

I had also been told by an experienced horseman not to feed while
trailering in a trailer with a manger. He described an incident similar
to Diana's experience, except that the horse was down and needed to be
revived -- no time to wait for a vet. His story, unlike Diana's, seemed
like horse folklore since they supposedly pumped the horse's leg to revive
the horse.

How far does a horse need to lower his head to be able to expel an
obstruction? Could any of the vets on this list comment on the frequency
of choking in trailers?

Pamela Corley
pcorley@hsc.usc.edu