Re: HEART RATE MONITORS FOR BEGINEERS

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:11:44 -0600

At 1:27 PM 11/20/96, Janet Evans wrote:
however with a young inexperience horse,
> that's still green I wonder if a heart rate monitor would help in a
> fitness program, or am I just collecting more STUFF which really I
> don't need until he's further into his career.
===============
Jan, probably the biggest benefit for me is that the HRM allows you to
determine some baselines for your horse. In other words you know what is
normal for this terrain or that weather or whatever. That will prove
invaluable when you go to a competition. Knowing what is normal for your
horse will allow you to make decisions on the trail based on all sorts of
factors. For that reason having one now as you begin will give you tons of
information to compare against as you go thru the process of bringing the
horse along. This may also help you catch certain metabolic problems before
they become severe (colic, tying up, etc...) as an increased pulse is
sometimes first piece of evidence of impending trouble.

The added benefit is you can see as soon as your horse meets criteria at a
check tho I have usually already pulled tack and have to resort to the
stethoscope anyway.

For training, you can record for a few weeks what your horses's working
rates are. Note terrain, weather, footing etc as that all plays a part.
Then as your horse improves you will see those rates drop. You will then
know when he is ready to pushed slightly to improve his fitness levels.
There are several things you can do - increase speed, distance, add hills,
do some interaval sets, etc.... By using the HRM, you will know that you
are increasing fitness and not pushing him past his limits and doing
damage.

I put mine on everytime I ride just cause I'm easily amused <g> and think
it's really neat to know what their heartrate is at any given time. But I
also now have a real good feel for what's normal for both boys under just
about any given set of circumstances.

Maybe Roger or some of those far more experienced than I will comment more
- I seem to remember some articles in TB or EN also about using a HRM. The
archives probably also have some info.

Tina
Tony and Embers - she knows everything about us - heart rates, when we
poop, what color our urine should be...is nothing sacred anymore??
hickst@nichols.com