Re: track racing

Ginger Atwater (ginger@ganymede.coat.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:17:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 TETERVIN@bms.com wrote:

> About fat- in very long distance races, humans use fat for energy after the
> more available sources have been used. I have read that this may be why(many) women
> seem to have more stamina than (most ) men. Women carry more fat on them than
> men do. Do any of the equine physiology experts know if horses do the same
> thing? (Burn fat for energy when operating a LSD for a very long
> time/distance)-Amy

Along the same lines, any theories about whether mares have more
stamina than stallions or geldings in the long run? Do horses
have the same fat/gender relationship that humans do?

I know that many people who compete prefer geldings and I've
heard the argument that you don't have to deal with the heat
cycle that you do in mares, but I wonder about the endurance
aspects of the choice. Personnally, I've always owned mares
and much prefer them. I had an aged arab stallion that I
loved to ride, but he was not up for competing and I felt much
more on the same wave length with the mares:) What do others
have to say about this issue?

Ginger.atwater@coat.com in snowy New Hampshire