Re: Tevis special

RGoodwin (richard.goodwin@lc.ca.gov)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:13:30 -0800

DreamWeaver <karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us> wrote:

> One of the things that was mentioned about the ride, (and correct me if I
> have my #'s mixed up), is that there are 19,000 feet of "up", and 21,000
> feet of "down". Is this true?

Pretty close. When the ride used to start a Squaw Valley the numbers
were 17,040ft of up and 21,970ft of down. Later, the leg that ran along
Red Star Ridge and back through Duncan Canyon into Robinson Flat was
dropped in order to move the starting line to Robie Park and still have
100 miles to ride. The overall elevation numbers are probably about the
same, but I'm not sure if anyone has recomputed it lately.

> btw, just how big was the horse the narrator rode? He was a BIG guy, wasn't
> he? (the narrator, not the horse!)

Can't help you with that one. The horse belonged to Potato Richardson,
but I don't think the 'tater is on line for us to ask him.

/richard

--
 _    ,--/   trailride@foothill.net is the address of
<_ __/ /\|   Natalie's "Barn & Breakfast" in Weimar, CA.