Re: ridecamp-d Digest V96 #1

Susan Felker (felker@swva.net)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 21:16:57 -0500

Will the person who has the bed and breakfast who is on the list mind
e-mailing me privately, if you have time, to let me know how it works to
have both guests and horses? My husband and I are thinking of turning
our "empty nest" into a B&B.

Also, Betsy O'Shea asked about thyroid problems in horses. Symptoms for
hypo- and hyperthyroidism are about the same as in humans--sluggishness,
weight gain, difficulty conceiving, coarsening of hair sometimes, etc.
for hypo-. Weight loss, increased fidgets, nervousness, sometimes rapid
pulse (depending on extent) for hyper-. A lot of people (and some vets)
think thyroid is a magical cure for pudginess, but it is not. If the
horse's thyroid levels are normal, don't mess with thyroid
supplements--they can be dangerous. I once was boarding an older mare
elsewhere. They decided she was too fat, and without asking me, put her
on thyroid. When I had her brought home she was a rack of bones and it
took forever to get weight back on her.

Would you yourself take thyroid if you don't need it? Would this be good
for your horse?

Blood tests, to be accurate, have to be done repeatedly over a period of
time, not just once, again as with humans. I have the hypothyroid
problem and have regular T3/T4 blood tests.

The suggestion to contact R.H. Douglas is an excellent one. There may be
something there besides a thyroid deficiency. Or it may just be your
pony is an easy keeper--many are. Just keep your pony fit, and be glad
you can save on the feed bills!