Re: thyroid questions

Kathy Seibolt (kseibolt@mail.tds.net)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:53:53 -0500

Interesting topic. I recently had my horse tested for thyroid
function. My vet doesn't like to test horses for this, as he feels the
results are not reliable. His tests came back normal. I had him tested
because he is a little bit cresty, and his immune system seems to be
unable to fight off respiratory viruses, despite quarterly flu/rhino
boosters. I have been told that the University of Michigan in Lansing
*does* have a reliable test (send it c/o Ken Fortson).

I've found some interesting topics elsewhere on the web relating the use
of ivermectin
and Strongic C to thyroid and breeding problems in both horses and
dogs. There have been cases of people using these products that stopped
having problems when they quit using the products.

I'd be happy to forward this information privately to anyone requesting
it.