Re: treeless saddles

David Sonnenberg (furface@liii.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:38:49 -0500 (EST)

I remember reading 1800's period accounts of Indian ponies; somewhere,
maybe in one of my books about Custer and the Indian Wars. The trooper
who wrote the account talked of wooden saddles(trees?) that were crude
copies of the trees in Spanish saddles of the period. He also described
horses with sore and bloody backs that were ridden regardless of
condition. He related that after initial bucks the ponies all settled
down and were ridden despite having large running sores on backs and withers.
furface@liii.com