Re: anaerobic,bpm,etc

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:14:45 -0500 (EST)

Frank

You wrote:
> Because the rider is typically unable to measure the lactat level during
> the ride, a usefull clue seems to be RESIRATION of the horse during the
> run and after break off the workout, isn't it? When respiration is low,
> and heart rate returns to normal quickly, there could be no oxygen
> deficit, therefore NO anaerobic work (even when the heart rate was 180
> recently), or am I wrong ?
> When the horse is fast and heavily breathing and heart rate stays long
> time over 100 after stop workout, this appears like oxygen deficit
> and the horse had worked within the ANAEROBIC zone, even when the
> heartrate was not exceeding 160 while running.

Using respirations as a clue to the horse's metabolic state is not a bad
idea, assuming perfect weather conditions. (Such as 30%
humidity, temperature of 21 C) We regularly compete in hot, humid
conditions (35 C, 90% humidity) where the respiratory rate is an
indicator of the horse's ability to cool himself more than a function
of metabolic stress.

Something to think about.

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"