Re: people clothes

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:26:35 -0600

At 6:28 PM 11/5/96, adrienne suzanne pape wrote:
> My guess is that jeans are a bad idea

IMO, YES!! However, I see people at every ride (seems like usually men??)
that ride in them with no <apparent> trouble....

>So, what do you guys suggest?

I like the Carousel tights (I got mine from SporTack, others may carry
them) with padding at the knees and seat. For my upper body, it's a jog
bra/tank during summer, layers beginning with a T and working up for cooler
weather. I don't wear half chaps but my mom and others swear by them. It
did take me a while to get used to the slick feeling of the tights - even
compared to other riding breeches. There is no stick-um with these! The
only caveat I have to add with these tights is that they do not hold up to
heavy briars - not that much else will - but if you know you are going to
go thru some brush wear your older, _much less pricey_ pants on that day.
The good news is that the holes don't travel too far so a few holes does
not do them in. I wear socks underneat my tights - some folks put them over
or one pr under and one on top.

> From the discussions on polar fleece lately, I wonder if pants
>would be possible?

SporTack (maybe others too) sell windblock (or something like that) pf
breeches. Sounds like a good idea - they just haven't made it to the top of
my "stuff" list.

I see a good many folks riding in running tights which are a little cheaper
then the Carousels but I can never find them long enough That's the real
selling points for "custom" tights - I can have length added to them <sigh,
for those of you who always wanted to be tall (almost 6') it gets
expensive>.

The great thing about this sport is that we are not terribly fashion
conscious. Oh sure, there are a few souls who match from head to toe and
ears to tail but by and large no one cares if you don't match - that's a
big plus for me :->.

Really, it comes down to what works for you. (You'll hear that alot in
this sport :->)

Tina (who sticks with basic colors to lessen the chances of becoming a
fashion casualty)
Tony & Embers - we always look good

Tina Hicks, hickst@nichols.com
Nichols Research Corporation