Re: slopes and your replies...

Alexandra (74672.737@CompuServe.COM)
01 Nov 96 21:01:30 EST

Kimberly wrote:

>In the beginning Mystery was clumsy, slow and insecure about being
>ridden downhill at all. I do lean back and try to stay loose to
>balance with the horse.

Ever watch how a horse's hind end physically reacts when his rider is a calf
roper? I.E> the rider is leaning forward then steps off and the horse slides to
a stop.
The horse's hind feet are able to go much farther forward under its belly if you
lean forward. It is able to "slide" and "sit down" easier if the feet are
farther under the belly and the rider's weight is forward....not on his
haunches.
When applying this to our sport and downhill the effect is the same. When going
down a steep hill...I lean forward thereby allowing my horse to "tuck" his butt
under us and travel smoothly down the hill. The "weight" isn't on his forelegs
like you think it would be.
He sat down so well one time that the horse behind us almost stepped on his
tail, but that's another problem entirely. :-)

Alexandra, Mirage and Sky
Palm Springs Ca