(Fwd) Re: steep hills and cantering.

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:00:53 -0500 (EST)

From: Self <CHKD-7/CVLNURS>
To: PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com (KIMBERLY PRICE)
Subject: Re: steep hills and cantering.
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:35:18

Kimberly,

You wrote:
> I'm reading the posts about going downhill on a horse. I have to
> wonder at what slope would the gradient be too steep to trot down? To
> canter down?

I'm lousy at grading a slope - I'm always wrong on #'s! If the slope is so
steep that my horse is set back on his hocks AT ALL & I feel ANY need
to reposition back to balance, then it is too steep for anything other
than walking. We never canter downhill - horrible for the joints!
We will trot on the gradual downhills, but if I feel that I am too
"forward" because of the slope, then it is time to walk (on
horseback). Too forward is feeling that I am rushing downhill despite
a balanced position and a strong leg on the horse. I should not have
to depend on the knee blocks on my OF Express Lite to keep me from
sliding onto the horse's neck at a trot!!

> I know horses need to build their muscles up in going downhill. How
> can you tell a horse is conditioned enough for trotting down steeper
> slopes or is this a "no" "no"?

Work up gradually, and watch for joint swelling. Watch the heart
monitor for even a slight increase in HR - may be related to stresses
of trotting downhill.

> I observed at the Ridge Trail ride (few endurance people were there),
> that NO ONE got off their horse going down an extremely steep hill
> (except me!). One lady even commented it was better for conditioning
> the horse if I did not get off.

I have found that unless it is a shear drop to a ledge (where I will
encourage the horse to drop down while I hold the tailing reins, then
I follow), I REALLY try to avoid getting off going down. My
experience has been that if I tail, the horse "gets away" from me (ie
goes faster than I can w/ my bad knees). If I lead, then there is an
excellent chance that the horse will step or land on me, especially
if the steep slope has loose footing. As with many things, my horse
has learned to handle himself well in these steep downhill situations
and works off of his ear quarters rather than bracing with his
shoulders.

Congratulations on Mystery becoming a "calm" horse. I'll bet it
crept up on you as his training progressed!! You must be so proud!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"