Re[2]: help on rides

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 18:59:24 +0000

Alice,

Have to agree with Linda on this one, I always carry a phone in by bum
bag, guess that's what you guys call a "fanny pack", have the bag on
my stomach, as most times you fall you will automatically curl up to
protect yourself. I do this because a good friend had her horse drop
down a steep hill with a heart attack, she was out on the trail, not
too far from home, and she was with a friend, the friend went for
help, but by the time she'd got back to the stables, and we'd got a
vet it was dark, the friend was in shock and in no fit state to go
back out. We spent hours looking for this girl with her horse, we all
thought we new where she was, but couldn't find her. Calling to her,
we just got the owls answering, a phone would certainly have helped,
by the way I also always carry a whistle, if the phone won't work, at
least you can try to attract attention to yourself with that.

I heard of another accident in the area where I ride, where the local
Air Ambulance had to be called in to get a wounded rider out of the
woods. She had a suspected spine injury and moving her by road could
have had serious consequences. Having a phone enabled the riders to
act fast to help their friend.

Hope you're never in any of these situations, but being prepared has
to be a good idea.

Keep safe

Regards

Jan