Re: Questions about Shin Splints

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:18:13 -0700

Karen Chaton wrote:

> At the last ride I did (a 50), I ended up with shin splints on the front of
> both of my legs. They both looked like somebody whacked the front of my
> shins with a pipe or something! I am NOT a runner and was on my horse at
> least 99% of the time (except for leading him into vet checks). I recently
> changed from Flex-Ride stirrups to EZ ride stirrups. The EZ Ride stirrups
> seem to alleviate the knee pain. I also had lowered my stirrups a little
> bit and that helped with my knees also. (these changes were both made 2
> rides ago) In fact, my knees did great on the ride. I have a tendon in one
> leg that is hurting though - any ideas on what I should do to help that?
>
> What I want to know is if this has happened to anybody else and if there is
> something I can do about preventing it from happening again. Should I raise
> my stirrups back up? I've never had shin splints before and was really
> surprised that they were so bad. Could it be the stirrups? The way I ride?
> Should I get off more? Help!!!
>
> Happy Trails,
>
> Karen
> in Gardnerville
> & Dream Weaver (oh sure, she thinks HER legs are sore!) ;^)
> & Rocky
Karen,

I'm an occupational/certified hand therapist by trade and since you
didn't get off much during the 50, I would put my money on the lack of
circulation in your lower leg causing your problem. Our circulatory
system is designed to work best with the contraction/relaxation of our
muscles playing a significant role in making sure all our cells and
organs receive adequate quantities of nutrition. You have nerves in all
your muscles that are the most vulnerable when there is a nutritional
deficiency/poor blood supply. It's the same mechanics that cause carpal
tunnel syndrome in the hands of computer operators and secretaries -
poor blood supply to the nerves which causes the nerves to start
screaming at you later.

If you don't get off more next time, at least make sure you do
moreactive muscle contraction -move your foot up and down out of the
stirrup more. I understand how bad knees are, all my cartliage is gone
and I don't get off much either, but I do a lot of stretching and move
my foot so those muscles get worked and the circulation is adequate.

Hope that helps. Keep those stirrups as long as you can for your knees
sake but MOVE more.

Happy Tails

Susan & Sabian from the emerald coast of NW Florida