Re: Bleach/rainrot

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:34:12 -0500

One more thing to be mentioned. If you're going to mix it 1/10 with water,
you can't leave it mixed up to use from day to day. The bleach loses all
it's power to kill anything after being left in water for even 20. I used
to work at a NH where bleach was used as a disinfectant mixed in big
containers and they were written up b/c it had no disinfectant abilities
when mixed that way, so mix it each time.
alice

At 01:40 PM 10/21/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Regarding the post of using bleach on rainrot....BE CAREFUL!!!!! As an
>Emergency nurse I have lots of experience with bleach and bleach injuries.
> First all IT IS NEVER INTENDED TO USE DIRECTLY ON SKIN..... It will burn
>and dehydrate the cells over a period of time. Second, when it is used it
>is used as a one to ten solution.....one part bleach and nine parts of
>water......this is the formula used in transplant centers on everything but
>human skin to kill all bacteria/viruses that would compromise a transplant
>patient before their own immune system takes over...so it does work. There
>are lots of remedies for rainrot without using bleach.....first soften the
>area with baby oil, let it sit for awhile before using the curry comb to
>remove it.Then shampoo with a product like Bio-tek (new name Equus?) then
>keep the horse dry......do not continue to rinse or shampoo the horse no
>matter what. I have heard of a spray of baby oil mixed with a iodine for
>prevention but I have not used it .

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods