Re: help on rides

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:37:07 -0500

At 2:46 AM 10/20/96, Alice Steinke wrote:
>Do most people on a ride have someone at the vet checks to help them? Like
>a galley perosn, friend, husband, etc. to bring water and help sponge horse,
>etc.? or do most people just go alone and do the best they can?
>alice
==================================

I've done it both ways and much prefer having a crew :-> An "educated"
crew can be a real godsend - tho even an uneducated crew is a big help!
However, if all the checks are in camp crewing alone is not that big of a
deal - haven't done one with checks out of camp where I didn't have a crew
so can't speak to that - I'd imagine organization is the big thing. The
biggest thing when you're doing it alone is getting to the bathroom on a 20
or 30 minute hold but I've yet to be somewhere that someone wouldn't hold
your horse while you go :->

I know folks do it but I couldn't imagine doing a 100 crewless!

One of the problems I find in getting crew is other people have lives -
imagine that:-> and don't see my ride schedule as the most important thing
in their lives. So I either pack up and go it alone (as many of you do I'm
sure) or I wouldn't go.

I'm wondering how many others on the list do this alone much of the time? I
mean packing up, driving over, setting up, riding, breaking camp, etc....I
love the sport but by the time I get home on Sunday from a ride where I'm
alone I'm wiped out!

Tina Hicks, hickst@nichols.com
Nichols Research Corporation
Huntsville, AL