Re: toed out

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:17:12 -0500

Actually this ties in with a question that I wanted to ask too.

I think that if he's toed out that he might wing. My mare is a little
crooked from the fetlock, but not bad. However, she does most definitely
wing and badly. A friend said that if a horse wings on a long distance ride
of any kind that she would have soundness problems. I would appreciate
comments.
alice
At 04:37 PM 10/18/96 -0700, you wrote:
>In <199610181712.KAA09511@fsr.com>, on 10/18/96 at 10:12 AM,
> ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net said
>
>>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
>>From: Cheryl Newbanks <cnewbank@concentric.net>
>>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>>Subject: Toes out
>
>>Hi all, hope you get this since the mail seems messed up lately. I have
>>a question. There is a arabian next door that they are selling for a
>>song because he is to much horse for them:} Sounds like a great
>>endurance horse to me. Well the only thing wrong with him that I can see
>>is that he toes out just a little bit up front. Thats it! I think this
>>is because his cannon bones are slightly off-set to the outside. He is
>>sound, clean legged and 9 years old. Can you all tell me how this toeing
>>out could effect his gate, or soundness doing long distance riding? I
>>can't figure how his would make him interfere. I can see how the cannon
>>bones off-set like that would put pressure on his splints but he's never
>>popped one and he is old enough that the splint bone is fused by now. So
>>what do you all think? He is priced dirt cheap!
>
>> ~~^** Cheryl Newbanks
>> ~~}_ _~~ /\| Buckeye, AZ
>> ( )__, ) ~ cnewbank@concentric.net
>> // \\
>> \\ //
>> ** **
>
>Cheryl,
>
> I think horses that toe out would have a lot of stress applied to their
>support structure ie: tendons and ligaments, especially if the cannons
>are slihtly offset as you think. I would also be concerned about htis
>horse's other problems which are addressed below by Sandy. I know of
>several horses that had to be put down because they were outright
>dangerous and could notsettle down. This after the horse had been to
>trainer using the understanding techniques Tom Dorrance has developed.
>(Ray Hunt and Pat Parelli are disciples of Tom's)
>If you think you could handle this horse then have x-ray taken of the knee
>joints, look for correct end connections and placement. I personally have
>very crooked lower legs but my joints match up perfectly at the knee!
>
>Good Luck to you...
>>------------------------------
>
>>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:31:18 -0400
>>From: SandyDSA@aol.com
>>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>>Subject: Re: Toes out
>
>>In a message dated 96-10-18 12:24:11 EDT, you write:
>
>>I would have more of a concern about this "too much horse" business. The
>>problems here could be more than just toeing out. If the horse is just
>>plain hot, he may well waste precious energy bounding about, and not
>>making much headway. He may also be hazardous. Hard to say. But I do
>>beieve that the horse who is rather lazy and thrifty about his energy
>>expenditure tends to carry a rider longer and with less metabolic stress
>>than the horse who is pitching and wheeling and snorting to go. He might
> [...]
Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods