>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Cheryl Newbanks <cnewbank@concentric.net>
>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: Toes out

>Hi all, hope you get this since the mail seems messed up lately. I have
>a question. There is a arabian next door that they are selling for a
>song because he is to much horse for them:} Sounds like a great
>endurance horse to me. Well the only thing wrong with him that I can see
>is that he toes out just a little bit up front. Thats it! I think this
>is because his cannon bones are slightly off-set to the outside. He is
>sound, clean legged and 9 years old. Can you all tell me how this toeing
>out could effect his gate, or soundness doing long distance riding? I
>can't figure how his would make him interfere. I can see how the cannon
>bones off-set like that would put pressure on his splints but he's never
>popped one and he is old enough that the splint bone is fused by now. So
>what do you all think? He is priced dirt cheap!

> ~~^** Cheryl Newbanks
> ~~}_ _~~ /\| Buckeye, AZ
> ( )__, ) ~ cnewbank@concentric.net
> // \\
> \\ //
> ** **

Cheryl,

I think horses that toe out would have a lot of stress applied to their
support structure ie: tendons and ligaments, especially if the cannons
are slihtly offset as you think. I would also be concerned about htis
horse's other problems which are addressed below by Sandy. I know of
several horses that had to be put down because they were outright
dangerous and could notsettle down. This after the horse had been to
trainer using the understanding techniques Tom Dorrance has developed.
(Ray Hunt and Pat Parelli are disciples of Tom's)
If you think you could handle this horse then have x-ray taken of the knee
joints, look for correct end connections and placement. I personally have
very crooked lower legs but my joints match up perfectly at the knee!

Good Luck to you...
>------------------------------

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:31:18 -0400
>From: SandyDSA@aol.com
>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: Re: Toes out

>I would have more of a concern about this "too much horse" business. The
>problems here could be more than just toeing out. If the horse is just
>plain hot, he may well waste precious energy bounding about, and not
>making much headway. He may also be hazardous. Hard to say. But I do
>beieve that the horse who is rather lazy and thrifty about his energy
>expenditure tends to carry a rider longer and with less metabolic stress
>than the horse who is pitching and wheeling and snorting to go. He might
>NOT make a fine distance horse if he is "too much horse". You might want
>to explain a little more about what they mean by this. Please EMail
>privately.
>san

>End of ridecamp-d Digest V96 Issue #50
Raymond Santana