Re: longevity in endurance horses

Karen Steenhof (ksteenho@eagle.idbsu.edu)
16 Oct 1996 07:05:29 -0600

In <961014174125_333674449@emout03.mail.aol.com>, MThomp7007@aol.com wrote:
> Like many of you, I'm starting a young horse and seeking help on how to make
>sure he lasts as long as possible in endurance.
>
>I'm interested in corelating information on the relation between the age at
>which an endurance horse starts serious conditioning and/or racing and the
>number of miles and years that horse stays sound enough for continued
>competition. If you have any experience with an endurance horse or know of
>some anecdotal information which may be helpful, I would love to hear from
>you and would like to know 1. Some identification of the horse - name,
>number, whatever; 2. The age at which he began his first 50 mile ride 3.
> The approximate number of years and and the number of miles per year he
>competed (just your best guess is fine) 4. The age at which he retired (or
>still racing)
>and 5. The general reason for retirement (chronic lameness, illness, money,
>whatever).

I have 2 horses. My first "Sunday" started endurance riding at age 14
and continued til she was 19. She racked up a total of 2010 AERC
miles. She is now happy and healthy in her late 20's. She probably
could have gone longer, but I got my other horse:

Ambers Thorn (#4984) started his endurance career 2.5 months before
his 6th birthday (i.e., a long 5-year old). He has now completed 10
consecutive seasons of endurance riding, racking up a total of 6020
AERC miles, and he has no plans for retirement in the immediate future. Thorn did
300 miles his first year and at least 450 each year thereafter through
1995. His best year was 1995 when he had 1190 miles (8th in national
mileage). This year, we backed off somewhat and only did 250 miles.
He is 15.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
.