Re:TWH - can they?

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:46:11 -0500

So what are your walkers breedings and where are you located?
I agree about the conditioning, etc. I believe that either of my horses can
perform in these situations. I think that Hannah or Chester would perform
fine if they are in condition. I need more info about NATRC so I can find
out when rides are and learn more about the sport. This list has been great.
Alice
At 11:59 AM 10/15/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alice - you wrote: (snip snip)
>
> I had a walker for 5 years that I intended to put into CTR,
>>but when I became serious about dressage, I sold him. Now I'm looking for
>>another. However, he was a big horse too. He had lots of heart and good
>>recoveries when in shape. Someone once told me that walkers weren't good
>>b/c of head movement--it wore them out faster than say a foxtrotter, or a
>>regular trotting horse. Is this true from anyone's experience?
>
>:^) I think there are a lot of misconceptions out
>there about what horses can and can't do. Actually,
>a foxtrotter has the same nodding head movement of
>a walking horse. My horse's intermediate gait, which
>is my main traveling gait, is a rack, which does not
>include a nodding head. But, when she does do her
>running walk, her HR isn't higher nor does she seem
>to wear out...
>
>I always hear that Walking Horses cannot do well
>in CTR or endurance because their recoveries are
>too slow - my mare is a TWH, 16.1, last weekend we
>rode a LD ride, very tough, all up and down. By
>the time I dismounted at the vet check & loosened
>the girth, her HR was 48 (this was 2 minutes after
>walking in). On CTRs her HR is usually 40-44 in
>the 10 minutes; after her 1st 30 mile ride, it was
>36!
>
>So, as Truman Prevatt told me a couple of years
>ago (his 16.2 TWH mare has over 1600 miles and
>a ROC completion this year) - condition your horse
>(whatever breed) for the job you intend to do -
>and don't listen to those who have been told that
>a certain breed cannot perform. I think a lot
>of this info is passed on without real knowledge.
>
>I competed in a CTR this summer, and someone who
>I had encouraged to consider riding her walker
>did. The horse was overweight and obviously
>not conditioned. At the end of the ride; the
>horse's pulse was 80 after 10 minutes - certainly
>perpetuating the idea that TWH cannot recover....
>my mare's pulse was 40 10 minutes after the same
>ride.
>
>It is the conditioning, not the breed.
>
>Jude Hall
>& Pride's Pure Angel (TWH)
>& Kentucky Redbud (Racking Horse)

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods