vet teaching hospitals

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull (elsie@calweb.com)
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:04:08 -0700

Susan Felker wrote:
> This vet then proceeded to "handle" the breeding of the mare for me. Months
> later, with me considerably poorer and the mare not pregnant, I brought her
> home and had her checked at the vet teaching hospital near here, where they
> discovered her serious problems.

Speaking of vet teaching hospitals - I've been very impressed with
them in the past. I have an amazon parrot, and taking a parrot to a
"normal" vet is often a waste of time.

I'm very close to UC Davis and take her there now. I can't say that
I'm richer ($-wise) for it, but I come away very satisfied that every
avenue has been explored.

Initially, I imagined that because I was going to a teaching
hospital, I would get sub-standard care, because I was being
looked at by students. In actual fact the reverse is true -
I ended up with quite an entourage - two "expert" vets, accompanied
by three vet students.

They did every imaginable thing to my bird - presumably because
it was useful for the students to see what should be done. I wondered
if, as they grow more experienced, vets become less exploratory and are
more of the attitude "well, let's try this for starters, and see how
it goes...".

On the other hand, I imagine it's a difficult line between trying every
test available straight away and having it cost a fortune; or starting with
one thing and working up to more.

But vet teaching hospitals get my vote for an "mmm, I wonder what this
could be? let's investigate completely..." attitude.

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie http://www.calweb.com/~trouble **************************************************************