test-run

Shawn William Foster (fost9113@uidaho.edu)
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:42:40 -0700 (PDT)

just trying to figure out if this group still exists. The address that
used to work for me, didn't yesterday. I havn't tried to contact goofy
since last semester though. I just updated my address with a new one that
differed from mine (only slightly) provided by Glen. When I sent this
message yesterday I just got some note from some techno wierdo calling me
a moron. Maybe it was in good spirit. Who knows. Well, here it goes.
Let's see what I can get called this time.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:53:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shawn William Foster <fost9113@uidaho.edu>
To: goofy <goofy@misc.org>
Cc: Ian Jensen <thegoat@u.washington.edu>
Subject: racist idiots and Hunchback of notre dame

hello guys,

Just at a terminal and thought I would write a brief note. Got stuck
talking to this idiot from my spanish class at lunch. We had a nice
little conversation about how spanish is worthless and that Mexicans are
basically a bunch of uneducated drunk bums who should stay in their own
country. He used the classic "I'm not racist but . . ." line. He is a
very narrow-minded stupid fellow. And while we are on the subject of
hatred, I think people like him should be wiped off the face of the earth.
Kill em all.

anyways, we are watching the charles laughton version of "The Hunchback Of
Notre Dame" in my literature class and as usual they really fucked with
the story. They totally
separate the villian from the church and make the king and Phoebus
(the knight) look really nice unlike there characters in the novel.
The only half-way decent aspect of the movie so far is Charles Laughton's
(spelling?) performance as the Hunchback. God, I can't wait to see what
Disney did with this story considering everybody dies in the novel. I
hear Esmeralda (the gypsy girl) (of course) runs off with Phoebus, the
gallant Knight in shining armor.

Quick movie update: Have been watching quite a few movies lately:

"Meet the Feebles" I highly recommend this to everyone. It is another
great film from Peter Jackson: the man from New Zealand who gave us "Dead
Alive". The easiest way to describe the movie is to think of a really
seedy,
vile, and depraved Muppets. I am sure Jim Henson is rolling over in his
grave. It is probably the oddest film I have ever seen.

"The Crippled Masters" This is another one for those fans of strange and
odd films. New Line just rereleased this gem of a movie. It is probably
the oddest kung-fu flick you will ever see. Two warriors team up to fight
the evil sorcerer who took one of thier arms and the others legs. Each
one is half a man but together they are the "crippled Masters" This two
guys are truly amazing.

"Creepers" Interesting storyline for a horror film. This isn't too hard
to believe because it comes from the italian master Dario Argento. New
line has just rereleased this 1985 classic with approx. a whole 25 minutes
trimmed off. I would recommend trying to find a copy of the original
italian release which is under the title "phenomena". by the way, if
anyone knows how to get ahold of uncut Argento imports of good quality
please let me know I would be highly interested.

"Basketcase" (1982)Probably Hennenlotter's (spelling) best film. Not as
much
fun as "Brain Damage" but more inteligent and better filmed. They made
good use of the little money that they had. It is an interesting story
and I just loved it because of the stop-motion effects. I love them so
much better than the new style morphing computer graphics. Long live Ray
Harryhausen (the master of stop motion)

"Armor of God" Jackie Chan Highly recommended for fans. interesting
story and lots of cool fighting sequences. Chan directed himself so what
else would you expect. white on white subtitles. but who cares it's not
the writing that makes these films. Raiders of the Lost Ark style
adventure.

Well, i must be on my way. I have some bond yield curves to work on. oh
what fun. I am so excited and overjoyed. goodby for now. more movie
blabbing in the future and feel free to write back with your opinion of
these films or any others that you have seen