ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #537

[endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #537

rtsantana@ucdavis.edu
Tue, 16 Jul 96 14:43:38 -0800

>endurance-digest Monday, 15 July 1996 Volume 01 :
>Number 537

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> From: Cheryl Newbanks <cnewbank@cris.com>
>> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
>> Subject: [endurance] Drought Resistant Pastures
>>
>> I live outside of Phx AZ and am currently constructing a 3 acre mini ran
>> I would like to do rotation of pastures on 2 of the acres for minimum
>> turnout, mostly feed consumption. But the problem with watering a pastu
>> that large in the desert is VERY costly. So I've been looking for
>> alternative grasses that are drought resistant and nutrious. I read an
>> article on Buffalo grass a long time ago and remember that it was very
>> drought resistant (anyone else heard of buffalo grass?). I figure if I c
>> get away with watering 1 time a week in our high temps then I could affo
>> it. Any ideas on grass types for Equine endurance horses and mares and
>> foals? I would very much appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
>>
>> Cheryl Newbanks
>> Buckeye, AZ
>>

>> ------------------------------
>------------------------------

>End of endurance-digest V1 #537
>*******************************

Cheryl,
Try looking into Bermuda Grass. I've enbcouraged it in my pastures in
California and the horses love it. It will die back in the cooler months
but comes back every spring. I have to water it heavily the first couple
of weeks after the rains stop but then can get away with once a week or
maybe every 4-5 days. The nice thing is it is very durable under the
horses' feet.

Raymond Santana
Network Operations
UC Davis Medical Center