ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Mounting!

Re: [endurance] Mounting!

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 16:02:59 -0500 (EST)

Genie,

You wrote:
> The left hand grabs the neck/mane (provided you are mounting from the left
> side of the horse) and the right hand on the cantle. Put the left foot in
> the stirrup and (some folks then bounce a time or two) swing up. Or, carry a
> folding step ladder....

Using the right hand on the cantle may not always be the best way for
2 reasons (according to my dressage instructor of eons ago). You
will pull the saddle towards you and you have a moment where you HAVE
to release the cantle to swing your leg into place. This moment of
release can be awkward if the horse decides to act up just then.

An alternative is to put the right hand on the opposite side of the
spine just behind the pommel (w/ left hand on mane/neck). It IS
possible to swing up without removing the right hand. The right hand
also acts as a balancing point so you can transfer weight from the
stirrup & avoid pulling the saddle over.

This should probably work for most of us. I found it hard with my
instructors 17.2 H warmblood simply because I couldn't reach my right
hand over his back! Not a problem with my 15.3 Arab, though. (I'm
5'5".) Genie's step ladder method was a DEFINITE option for mounting
that warmblood!

Using a mounting block/rock/stump etc. is ok if I'm tired at the end
of a ride. I really don't want to shift my weight onto one side of
the saddle momentarily as I get upsince it has to be uncomfortable for
the horse. I've seen great computerized, pressure sensitive pads show
tremendous amounts of one sided pressure as the rider mounts. Just
think how that would feel to the horse after a long competition!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"