ridecamp@endurance.net: (Fwd) Re: [endurance] taking pulse & small P/U's

(Fwd) Re: [endurance] taking pulse & small P/U's

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:51:09 -0500 (EST)

From: <CHKD-7/CVLNURS>
To: Debra Thomas <dthomas@sparkling.cba.uga.edu>
Subject: Re: [endurance] taking pulse & small P/U's
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:49:48

Debra,

You wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone knows the point that you take your
> horses' pulse from the saddle. Read once, somewhere, now can't remember.
> Had trouble finding it. Does anyone out there know? Also, would like
> anyone's opinion of whether a '90 dodge dakota v-6 (fuel injection)
> would be able to handle short road trips w/2 horses with a pipe 16"
> stock trailer.

If you find out the point to take the pulse while mounted, please let
me know! I know to find it under the jaw, digital vein (near hoof),
under the tail, and to feel for a thrum near the girth (sometimes hard to find!).
I use a heart monitor - with the reduced prices now, it is hard to NOT
use one! They're really great for training as well as for gaiting
into a hold.

As to the Dodge Dakota pulling a horse trailer, DON'T!!! It isn't
the pulling ability you need to worry about, but whether the trailer
outweighs the truck! If the trailer is as heavy or heavier than the
truck when FULLY loaded, the truck will have problems with stability
& stopping the trailer. You will be an accident waiting to happen.

Remember that some manufacturers "cheat" when they tell you the
recommended towing capacity of XX lbs. Often times, XX lbs includes
the weight of the truck, all gear, passengers, trailer, hay, tack,
water, horses, etc. (That is, not just the weight of the trailer
alone!) You may find you have exceeded the weight limit
before the horse(s) ever get in. You will also find that your
transmission, brakes, & engine will take a horrible amount of wear &
tear that the truck was never built for.

You didn't say if you have either the truck or trailer already. If you are about
to buy the truck, look for a <minimum> of a 1500 Dodge/Chevy/GMC or
an F150 Ford (1/2 ton P/U). If you plan to do more than occasional hauling, go
ahead & splurge for a 3/4 ton P/U since you will get more wear & tear
from it. I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THE "WHICH BRAND OF TRUCK
IS BETTER" BATTLE!!! Look to rec.equestrian for that, please!

If you are riding endurance or competitive trail, I bet you
will find that you are using the trailer more than <occasionally>, &
sooner than you know!!! It may look like a savings to use the little
truck now, but it won't be in the long run.

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"