ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] mounting techniques

[endurance] mounting techniques

jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:37:56 -0700

MARISA wrote:

>What I -really- want to learn how to do, is that cool 'vault' into the
>saddle that they do in the movies. Richard Gere did it in First Knight,
>and Brad Pitt does it in Legends of the Fall. You know, stand next to
>horse holding reins in left hand and facing rear of horse. Then swing
>right leg up and over and land in saddle?! Anybody know how to do that
>one or how to learn?

One of the guys in my club does this. I hate him! :-)

John also dances a lot and is one of those compact, wirey sorts, very
solid but mostly muscle. I think he has steel springs in his legs.

It's been awhile, but as I recall he faces backwards as you describe, has
left hand on the horn to vault aboard. His QH mare stands like a rock
most of the time until he's in the saddle, but even if she moves a bit he
seldom misses. I think Gorgeous is 15.1 or 15.2 and John can't be much
over 5'5" (I'm 5'4" and he's barely taller than I am).

I've watched and have no hope of being able to do it in this lifetime.

-Sallijan
<ugh, grunt, heave, WHOA!>

Sallijan Snyder | ==> I am not a speaker-for-Intel.
Santa Clara, California |
(408)765-9068 wrk (408)629-5909 hm | "Sometimes you'll find a heap of
Internet: jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com | thread on a mighty small spool."
or sallijan@ix.netcom.com |
*Internet Z-Car Club Member #42* | --Savvy Sayin's